Friday, April 24, 2009

Belated Earth Day Post

I want to show off all of the eco-friendly stuff that Matt has built in the past few weeks:

We have four raised garden beds. Each is 4 x 4 and divided into 16 squares according to the square foot gardening method. We don't know much about gardening, so it was nice just to buy a book and follow the directions. So far, so good. These are the spring crops of cabbage, peas, spinach, mesclun, strawberries and radishes. Lots more to come with crazy trellices and everything. Good thing the book came with a plan for cages because, as my friend Diane's Facebook status line read last week "squirrels are a**holes."


These are our two compost bins made from garbage cans with holes drilled all around them. They don't smell at all (which means it's working). I'm still a little grossed out by collecting all of the kitchen scraps in a bowl and then emptying it each night, but I'll get over it, especially when the compost finishes and we can use it to help out the terrible soil in the front where nothing will grow.



This is one of our two new rain barrels that Matt built. They collect runoff from the roof and have spiggots for filling watering cans and hooking up a hose. We'll use the water mainly for the garden.

Good job, sweetheart, the boys and I are proud of all of your hard work!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing!!! I am eco jealous!!!!
A

Mom2BeautifulGirl said...

I am seriously impressed. That is awesome. Those are the things I wish we'd do but never get around to.

Kudos Matt!!!

sharleen.2cupsofcoffee said...

Awesome job, I may be giving Matt a call once we have a house and want to make a rain catcher or brew beer or cook turkey dinner... Gosh I'm going to miss you guys!

~heather~ said...

That is awesome! I'm w/ Jennie, would love to do it but the reality...