Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hello out there--A Lenten Post

So, I'm anticipating that there might be someone new visiting my blog over the next few weeks. I'm participating in a Lenten prayer exchange with another Catholic mom. I love the idea behind the exchange, I am praying for her intentions and she is praying for mine. I think I can pray for someone else's intentions in a much more genuine way than my own. I signed up through a blog and they paired me randomly with someone, the only way they sorted was to match bloggers with bloggers and non-bloggers with non-bloggers. I submitted a link to my blog when I submitted my request. We're not supposed to actually contact each other until after Easter, but I can go to her blog and she can go to mine.

I don't really think of myself as a mommy-blogger as this blog is really only for my family and close friends. And I don't blog much about our Catholicism as almost all of the people who follow it aren't Catholic. It doesn't really do anything but record the escapades of my children who are not homeschooled, eat junk food, watch hideous amounts of television and play video games. Yikes.  But here we are: the Anderson-Ponesse Family. My husband Matt is an Associate Professor of History at a Catholic University in Ohio. I'm Katie, a part-time history professor and rest-of-the-time SAHM to our three sons Luke (6), Michael (4) and Justin (22 months).

As for Lent, Luke has given up cookies (the dessert staple at our house). His first test was at hot lunch today when cookies were served. I was impressed that he didn't eat them. It helped that the little girl sitting next to him didn't eat hers either because she has given up ALL sweets for Lent. And it was with horror that he told me that his friend Ben had given up video games. Made me feel like I should have pushed him for more, but we'll start with cookies. Michael says he's giving up ice cream--which is convenient since we only have ice cream on Sundays which aren't counted in the 40 days of Lent anyway! Matt's giving up alcohol. I'm giving up following a couple of blogs/websites that were a bit of an addiction and not adding anything productive to my life. Hoping I can keep away from them even after Lent.

So, welcome fellow Catholic mom, I look forward to "meeting" you at the end of Lent!

2 comments:

tomandcheryl said...

I do love this post. Daniela has said she wants to give up her DS. But she barely plays it. I would rather she gave up something else. I am going to try to do better stuff instead of giving something up.
~Cheryl

Mom2BeautifulGirl said...

This is really cool idea. We have prayer partners this year during lent. I'm looking forward to praying with and for my friend who is my prayer partner.