
I just got off of the phone with my Aunt Loura who flew into El Paso from San Diego. Grandpa S.T. checked himself out of the hospital against medical advice. He apparently threw quite a tantrum when the doctors tried to keep him in after promising that he could go home today--even using some very un-Grandpalike language. His bronchitis is bothering him and he's having trouble eating and swallowing his pills--something they wanted to take care of at the hospital. Finally, my aunt decided that he had to make this decision himself and she drove him home. She's going to stay with him the rest of the week and will try to get him into see his regular doctors. We are praying now that Grandpa comes to understand and trust that we know he wants to spend his last days at home in relative comfort and we want to honor that request, but in order to accomplish that, he may need some medical intervention now. I'm also asking for prayers for Betty, my grandfather's ladyfriend. She's in her mid-eighties and has been Grandpa's companion for over fifteen years. In many ways, she is more of a grandmother to me than my grandmother was. She's the one that took him to the hospital and he apparently said some hurtful things to her in the heat of the moment and she is feeling badly. This is a picture of them from Grandpa's 100th birthday party.
5 comments:
i'll be praying for him and Betty and your family.
Your family is in my prayers.
What a stunning couple on such an amazing day.
They are both in my thoughts. I hope he can find his way.
Love
A
They are just so adorable. I hope she forgives herself. It is something that needed to be done.
~Cheryl
I'll be thinking of your grandfather and Betty through this trying time. And sending a few hugs your way too.
Post a Comment