Friday, August 27, 2010

Kindergarten!!!

Today Luke started Kindergarten at Immaculate Conception Catholic School. I'd noticed a growing anxiety in Luke over the past few days. He totally stopped talking about kindergarten and kept changing the subject when we would bring it up. So, I wasn't actually sure how today would go. For the first time maybe ever, I had to wake him up in the morning. He woke up grumpy "do I have to go to kindergarten?" He had some toast and watched Bakugan while I packed his lunch: bologna roll-up, string cheese, grapes and maple cookie with chocolate milk and a dinosaur drawing by mom.Luke got into his uniform while we wrangled the other two boys. Time for a quick photo before we left. Today only, we both drove him to school. Starting next week, Matt will be dropping him off on his way to work. This was Luke's phase-in day. One third of the kindergarteners started on Wednesday, one third on Thursday and one third today. So there were only about a dozen kids there. We got some more photos as we walked up to the kindergarten building.

The requisite backpack shot--it's a Bakugan backpack with some anime guy and a red dragon. Once inside, Luke found his cubbie and then we found his classroom for today. Not sure yet if this will be the class he's in everyday, they don't decide the final class lists until this weekend. But the two classes do quite a few things together anyway.Luke looked nervous as I put his nametag on, but then he settled in with the other boys playing blocks. Michael joined them. Luke recognized Leo from VBS and Sophia from Sunday school.

I am totally jealous of the Smartboard with the electonic markers. My classroom at ODU doesn't even have one of these.One last picture with Dad and Mom and the brothers and that was it!


I picked him up at 2:45. He said he did such a good job at listening that he got to hold Chester the Raccoon (stuffed, I hope!) He said he made "two mistakes" on the "red" playground at first recess--he went up the slide and threw mulch, but he made no mistakes on the "green" playground at second recess. He ate all of his lunch. Sounds like a pretty good first day. To celebrate we went to Noodles for dinner and Dairy Queen for dessert.Congratulations, Luke!! We are so proud of you!

3 comments:

sharleen.2cupsofcoffee said...

Sounds like Luke had a great day.

tomandcheryl said...

mmmm, love Noodles and Company. I need to go there.
Funny he admitted about the wrong doing.
I love all those little boys in their dark shorts and light blue shirts. I love the idea of uniforms. I wish public school had them.
~Cheryl

~heather~ said...

You rocked the dinosaur drawing by the way! Sounds like a good start to the year.
I miss Noodles.. we don't them here.