Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A post about laundry--exciting stuff.

I don't have the kind of blog where I recommend products or tell people how I manage my house or feed my family . . .BUT . . .

I realized over the weekend that I was almost out of laundry detergent. So what? So, I don't think I've bought laundry detergent since before Justin was born! Last spring, my friend Michelle posted a link to a recipe for homemade laundry detergent and non-crafty me decided to try it. It cost less than $10 for the supplies, all of which I found at Meijer. It took 20 minutes to make it. It made ten gallons (five gallons and you dilute it by half). It's lasted 8 months--with two little boys and a baby in the house! Today I had to make another batch. I had to spend $1.50 on a bar of Fels Naptha, but I had plenty of Borax and Washing Soda left from the first batch. Amazing.

I haven't really noticed any difference between the homemade stuff and the low end liquid detergent I was using before (Purex or store brand). I treat my stains with spray and they generally come out (as much as they ever have--I admittedly suck at laundry and let stains dry all the time). The high end stuff like Tide may work better, but I don't really know because I've never been able to afford Tide!! This stuff is awesome and it has really helped me do a better job of managing the laundry in the house because now I just do as much as I need to do without agonizing over how long the detergent is going to last.

Here is the link if anyone wants to try it: Homemade Laundry Detergent

1 comment:

tomandcheryl said...

I have been wanting to try this recipe for the longest time. You may have just lit the fire under my ass! I really want to but my problem is that I don't know where to keep it! My laundry room is TINY!
~Cheryl