
This is the Black Tigers. It's the Demo Team for Luke's Martial Arts School that performs at events around the city. Next time you see a picture of them, Luke will be up front and center. Yep, Luke just made the Demo Team. I find I'm having a moment of Amy Chua guilt as I write this which is why I'm not posting it on FB or my moms' board yet. I feel like I've fallen ass backwards into becoming the martial arts equivalent of a pageant mom! Tournaments, belt tests, demo teams! But, I swear, Luke has dragged us to every performance of the Black Tigers since we started at Koguryo seven months ago. Master Circle sent out a notice for auditions and said they were open to everyone, Luke said he wanted to do it, so we went.
Of about 20 kids, Luke was the youngest and smallest kid there, although there were some other yellow and white belts trying out who were a bit older. Mostly, though, it was the kids in the picture above who are all at least 12 and almost all of them have black belts.
The auditions were tough. Luke had to memorize several short routines and then perform them in front of everyone. He was so awesome. There were kids older than him that couldn't do it. I was just so proud of him for getting up there. Once I saw how serious the whole thing was, I was kind of regretting going because I thought he would be crushed if he didn't make it. Plus, by the time the whole thing wrapped up it was 8pm which is way past his bedtime. But then they started calling kids up and Luke's name got called! It was Luke, a boy who I think is about 7 and then all of these teenagers! There were at least 5 or 6 kids that didn't make it. Next week they start building a new routine and I have to order him a uniform. I imagine they'll do their first performance in a couple of months.
I'm just so impressed by Luke's moxy. It amazes me. And I hope I'm not totally crazy for letting him plunge so headlong into all of this. At this rate, he may burn out by the time he's 8! But, really, so what if he does? He'll move on to something else and we'll go along for the ride. Being your parent is an adventure, Luke. And I'm proud to be part of it.
5 comments:
I so don't consider you a pageant mom! Luke decided to do this....all you did was drive him there! I think it's great!
And how wonderful that he made it! I am so proud of him! It's pretty cool!
~Cheryl
I'm so proud of Luke. He's come a long way. I can't wait to see him perform.
OMG.... that does mean Oh My God, right? POPPY AND NAN ARE SO THRILLED. I must be a pageant mom at heart.... i used to love watching you, Katie, at your dance recitals. But this is so COOL. I told John that if we don't end up living near the boys, his plane bills will cost him a fortune so that i can see all of them do their own things. Way to Go, Samuel Luke Ponesse!!!
Nan
I am so proud of Luke and YOU. I think it's awesome he's become so involved in a great sport.
Keep up the good work Luke!
This sounds great Katie! I'm impressed Luke was willing to try for something like this!
Post a Comment