Saturday, August 23, 2008

Samuel T. Anderson, Jr. (September 24, 1946- August 24, 2001)

I'm thinking about my dad today. It's hard to believe he's been gone seven years.

When I was pregnant with Luke I made scrapbook about my dad, so that my children would know something about their Grandpa Sam. So I actually have quite a few pictures scanned. Posting this reminds me that Matt and I need to get on track and complete a scrapbook for his mom, too. Luke and Michael are very lucky to have so many wonderful grandparents in their lives and they are also lucky to have Grandpa Sam and Nanny Kay as their special guardian angels.


My first birthday

With my parents, judging by the height of my hair, I'd say c. 1989.

When I was in high school.

One of our many cross-country road trips while I was in college.

My dad was he only man I know who bought a Camero as his "mid-life crisis" car, but bought it with an automatic transmission. That's Bart the Westie on his lap.

A confirmed cat-hater, Dad had a change of heart when he met Herschel.

At our wedding rehearsal dinner with my stepmom, Carole.


July 22, 2000.

My dad was diagnosed with aplastic anemia two months later, he had a bone marrow transplant in June 2001 and passed away due to complications from the transplant on August 24, 2001. The next day Matt and I drove my dad's car across Texas from the hospital in Houston to his home in El Paso. I gave the eulogy at my dad's funeral a few days later, I still remember that all of the employees from his store were standing in the back of the full church wearing their Kmart shirts. Surreal experience. Matt and I got back to Canada a few days before September 11th. 2001 was a crappy year.



4 comments:

Enigmama said...

Katie, what a nice post. Thinking of you today as you think of your dad.

P.S. Love the totally 80s picture. Right out of the brat pack movies ;)

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss. Makes me think I should do something for my mom.

I too love the 80's pics. You really haven't changed much in looks. I haven't either.

~heather~ said...

I liked your tribute to your dad. Loved the pictures too.

MomMom said...

Katie, remembering a wonderful dad is a huge part of my life too and I loved this post. Behind so many Amazing women are great dads. It makes perfect sense as you are so wonderful.
I had no idea how much yourkids favored you til I saw your 1 year pic.
Wow!
Love,
A