Saturday, December 17, 2011

Student of the Year

This was the first annual Koguryo Martial Arts Christmas Party and Awards Ceremony. Master Circle had touched base with me earlier in the week to see if we were going, so I thought Luke might get something, but I had no idea what kinds of awards there were or how many. Turns out the only awards were for Student of the Year, Instructor of the Year, Outstanding Service and Outstanding Attendance.  Student of the Year was awarded for Little Dragons, Youth, Teen and Adult. Luke won the Little Dragons Student of the Year even though he hasn't technically been attending Little Dragons class for a couple of months, but that's still his age division.
Master Circle talked about how Luke is involved in almost all of Koguryo's events and how dedicated he is and how much he enjoys teaching Luke. He said Luke was in the top several kids for attendance and stated a ridiculously high number of classes that he'd been at this year (especially as demo practice doesn't count towards attendance). He said he had a story he was originally going to tell about Luke, but that he wanted to share a new one (I still want to know what the old one was!). Then he talked about how Luke sparred the big kids today at the Warrior Challenge (post to follow) even though they were several years older and several inches taller. It was just amazing to hear how much Master Circle really seems to appreciate Luke in all his Lukeness. HOWEVER, I was having a hard time listening because Matt MISSED THIS!! Justin had gotten away from us, and was out in the conference center, exploring the second floor with some other wayward toddlers including Master Circle's daughter and Matt was chasing him down. Remind me to give Justin a hard time about this when he gets older.

How I kept Michael busy--letting him take unflattering pictures of me. He also took about 60 pictures of the table and half eaten food. Then he went to Master Circle said "Excuse me, Master Circle, it's not fair that Luke gets an award and I don't." Master Circle was awesome, he told Michael that he was a little brother, too, and that he remembered how hard it was and that he bet that Michael would earn lots of awards as he got older. Michael settled for several large cookies.

Luke took this picture of his certificate. Luke has his special "student star" week at school in January, so we won't hang it up until he's had a chance to bring it in.
The Students of the Year.  Next to Luke, Vili won the Teen division, Mark got Instructor of the Year, Thomas won the Youth division and James got the Service Award.  Alexandria won the attendance award and her dad won the Adult division, but they had to leave right away, so I didn't get their picture. Alexandria came to over 150 classes last year not including her demo team practices. I have it on good authority that she was about 40 classes ahead of any other student. That's crazy. But, my kid was up there, too, so who am I to judge?

I could not be prouder of my driven little boy. I am so happy to have found something that he loves so much and to have found a place where he is so welcomed and valued and where his intensity is an asset and not a liability. Congratulations, Luke!

6 comments:

Enigmama said...

Awesome job Luke! I love the post- sucks about Justin and too cute about Michael and wanting his own certificate.

tomandcheryl said...

So so SO incredibly happy for Luke! And now I can totally appreciate what Master Circle said about Luke sparing with the older/taller kids. Luke Rocks!
~Cheryl

allanya said...

Your last paragraph was very touching. Congrats to Luke!

Mom2BeautifulGirl said...

So proud of you Luke!

Unknown said...

Way to go, Luke! :-)

sharleen.2cupsofcoffee said...

Way to go Luke!!!