Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Typical Day

7:30 am--I decide to get up--Matt is already up with Son #1. I hear Son #2 stirring. He had a bad night last night and has slept late--not a good sign on a day when I need to get him down for an early nap.

7:32am--Come downstairs holding Son #2. Son #1 immediately asks me to "make some ghosts." I pour some coffee and make some ghosts out of kleenex and cotton balls. I am finishing the faces when Son #1 says "I need a robot." I ask "what about the ghosts?" Son #1 clarifies "I need ghosts AND a robot." Matt offers up several robots from the toy bin. "No, I need to make a robot from a craft." Translate: I want mommy to build a robot.

8am--Oatmeal is on the stove, but Son #2 can't possibly wait and has caught sight of eggs in the refridgerator. Wild shrieking ensues. I scramble an egg while trying to envision a fast, easy, homemade robot.

8:05am--Son #2 settles into his egg. I find a toy metal spatula which I transform into a robot using pipe cleaners and brads. It's not pretty. I'm not crafty mom. But Son #1 is satisfied.

8:15am--I go upstairs to get dressed and get clothes for the kids, shouting "Stir the oatmeal!!" to Matt about a hundred times. Has anyone fed the dog?

8:20am--The Great Battle to Get Dressed begins with much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

8:30am--a lull in the battle. Half dressed children eat oatmeal. Matt goes to shower.

8:45am--with a combination of screaming, pleading and outright bribery, a truce is negotiated in the Battle to Get Dressed. Son #1 will wear hat and mittens, but no coat. Matt takes kids for walk with dog.

9am--Matt goes to work. Jennie calls. She's running late (yay!! me too!!).

9:15am--The Battle of the Car begins.

9:25am--we finally leave, stopping at the bank and drive 15 minutes to Lynd's to pick apples with the Jennies. On the way, Son #1 says we should get "a hundred dollars apples." I tell him $16 for 20 lbs is more than enough. He then spends the next ten minutes talking about the Jennies: He likes mommy Jennie. He likes little Jennie. Little Jennie is a very nice girl. Both Jennies are girls. Why are Jennies girls? Mommy, tell me a story about the Jennies.

9:50am--arrive at Lynd's for a short apple-picking playdate with the Jennies. Son #1 still refuses coat and so will only pick apples in sun. Son #2 keeps tripping on apples on ground. Son #1 eats several bites from and then discards about a dozen apples.

10:20am--Twenty pounds of apples in a plastic bag is REALLY heavy. There's more traffic than you'd expect in an apple orchard. Paying for twenty pounds of apples in traffic with a toddler and two preschoolers is challenging--even with two adults! Time to peruse the tent filled with produce and goodies--perhaps "peruse" is not the right word. How about "watch in horror as the three children tear around the place like it's a racetrack?" That's about right. Hey, nothing got broken.

10:40am--Say goodbye to the Jennies. Drive home. Wonder if Michael has done enough to be able to take an early nap. Son #1 asks me to make apple crisp when we get home. Stupidly, I reply "Sure, I think we have time for that." We do not have time for that. We listen to "C is for Cookie" about five thousand times on the way home.

11am--arrive at home. Feed Son #2 fast lunch (read: non-nutritious, fake Italian chef, something-a-roni). Start peeling apples. Realize I haven't showered. Regret agreeing to make apple crisp. Son #1 asks if apple crisp is ready yet.

11:20am--Take Son #2 upstairs with bottle for nap. Son #1 asks if apple crisp is ready yet. Come back down and chop apples. Why am I making apple crisp?

11:35am--Realize Son #2 is still awake. Suspect poop. Yep. Change diaper--hmm, not enough here. Suspect there will be a second event later in the day. Nap, take 2. Son #1 asks if apple crisp is ready yet.

11:45am--Son #1 asks if apple crisp is ready yet. Make crumb topping for apple crisp. Why am I making apple crisp?

noon--Put apple crisp in oven. Son #1 asks if apple crisp is ready yet. Make chicken nuggets for Son #1 (hey, they're from Trader Joes, so they must be ok, right?). Turn on Sesame Street. I pretend not to hear that Son #2 is still awake. I go to shower.

12:01pm--Son #1 opens bathroom door and starts bringing me "surprises" while I shower. He drops trucks and animals into the bathtub. He lets in cold air. Have you ever tried to shave your legs with goosebumps? Loads of fun.

12:15pm--Get dressed in work clothes. Say prayer to St. Jude that there won't be any major messes for the next hour. Son #1 asks if apple crisp is ready yet. I hear maniacal laughter coming from the nursery. Son #2 is not asleep. I calculate the nap ratio and figure if he falls asleep in the next fifteen minutes, it's still worth it.

12:30pm--I come downstairs. Son #1 asks "Mommy are you 39?" Sigh. I wish he had asked about apple crisp.

12:45pm--The laughter has become screaming upstairs. I calculate the nap ratio--no longer worth it. I go into the nursery. Son #2 has taken off his pants and socks. I am hit by a smell that tells me all of the apples have taken effect. Change another diaper. Son #1 comes upstairs to ask if the apple crisp is ready yet.

12:50pm--Bring Son #2 downstairs. Remove apple crisp from oven. Why did I make apple crisp? Scarf bagel. Dash to computer to print notes for class. What am I teaching today? I can't staple my notes because I took the staples out of the stapler so that Son #1 could play with it, now I can't remember where I put them. Son #1 comes downstairs to ask if the apple crisp is ready yet. YES!!!! THE FREAKING APPLE CRISP IS READY!!! The Battle of the Potty begins--but the promise of apple crisp ensures that it is only a minor revolt.

1pm--Children eat apple crisp and watch Caillou. I hate Caillou. I go upstairs to pull myself together--hair up, makeup on, slippers off, boots on.

1:15pm--I'm feeling remarkably ready to go--then I remember an ungraded paper. CRAP! I track down the paper, let out the dog, grade the paper while standing at the back door waiting for the dog. CLONK--the sound of the napless Son #2's head striking the corner of the table. DOUBLE CRAP! Now I have to hold the toddler and finish the paper.

1:25pm--The Second Battle of the Car begins.

1:35pm--We leave for ODU. Son #1 has noticed the shiny pin on my lapel. He wants to know why he doesn't have one. He wants a story about a shiny pin. My patience is gone and my sanity is slipping.

1:50pm--Arrive ODU. Matt meets me in parking lot. I get out of car. He gets into car. I tell him Son #2 is napless and wish him luck! I can't remember what else we said.

1:53pm--Crossing the street, I try to figure out if I have time to go the office. 7 minutes. Nope. I settle for the mailroom. I staple my notes. I stand at the table there and try to remember everything I know about the Albigensian Crusade. It's hard to think about the Albigensian Crusade when you're still humming a song about sidewalk chalk.

2pm--Go to my classroom. It is sparsely populated. Too sparsely populated. Grrrr. Half my class is not there. I berate those who are there. They ask me to cancel class. I vacillate. I compromise. They will endure an hour on the Albigensian Crusade, then I will let them go early. I promise to include LOTS about the Albigensian Crusade on the next quiz.

3pm-- I let them go. I walk to the office. I sneak past open doors. I shut the door behind me. I unzip my boots. Matt doesn't expect me home until 5pm. I check email. I check the Moms' Board. I blog.

4:30pm--Time to go home. There will be the usual evening chaos waiting for me. But I think I miss my boys!

9 comments:

MomMom said...

Bravo Bravo!!!!
Love it! I am exhausted just from reading it!! LOL
We to watched 3 year old terrorize the Tent @ Lynds today. Poor Lynds...
Remind me to ask you for a robot & story next time I see you ;P)

sharleen.2cupsofcoffee said...

Sounds like a fun mommy day!!!

Anonymous said...

Since my nephews are part Canuck I expect some respect when the name of Caillou is uttered. Plus, if they have Ponesse genes they have a 65% shot at male-pattern baldness, for which poor Caillou had to deal with prematurely. no more dissin Caillou!

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious!!!!

I'm admire your stamina and wonder if that is my life it a couple of months...since our kids seem to be on the same crazy wavelength.

The Jennie's had fun at Lynd's with you, though.

Anonymous said...

Katie Girl:

i laughed so hard i almost peed myself..... but you know that i am getting older and it does not take as much as it used to for that to happen. You are a REAL MOM..... i would have bought you a Twinkie instead of the Apple Crisp. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

By the way, what is Caillou?? Remember i once cracked up my college students by telling them that i thought SpongeBob Squarepants was a new Rock Band.... Poppy and Nan are really, really out of touch with the new Mommy Generation!

K1/Katie's Mom

Anonymous said...

I think you need to add a few more things to your day!! Are you CRAZY?? Love and admire you, Grandma Carole

MomMom said...

Ahhhhhh, thanks for making me read this again, superb post!! well written & it REALLY catches the spirit of the life with small kids!!! Love the commenter list, Its much truer than now!!!!!

MomMom said...

and I love seing the old profile pics!!!