So thinking that I could blog from Toronto was optimistic. I can't believe my Michael Moo is five! My easy baby. My happy and cooperative toddler. My animal-obsessed preschooler. My boy who instinctively knows which adult is in charge of which house and will boldly (although politely) approach them with an "excuse me" to fulfill whatever desire has come upon him at the moment. My planner--he already has next year's birthday party in the works. But he's also my enjoy-the-moment kid who experiences true joy in a way that no one else in the family seems to. You are a complex little man, Michael Stephen Ponesse, and I love being your mommy.
Michael's birthday fell on Good Friday this year (as it did the year he was born) and it turns out that Good Friday is a federal holiday taken very seriously in Canada. NOTHING was open. We had to postpone his birthday lunch at IKEA (just as well with the meat restriction as meatballs are his favorite). Luckily, I had brought cake mix from home because even grocery stores were closed. Since I knew we weren't having a big expensive friend party at home, I kind of splurged on the treats. Each of the cousins got a cup and a little dog and dog ears and a bookmark. I also ordered doggie candles for the cupcakes--with monkey wrappers in case you are wondering where the monkeys are.
Michael got lots of presents and everyone ate way too many sweets. In hindsight, it was far too much celebration for what was supposed to be a solemn day religiously, but Michael's birthday won't fall on Good Friday every year. And Michael's the middle child, so it was nice for him to get some extra attention from his aunts, uncles and cousins.

5 comments:
Awww, what a great Mom you are dragging all that up there!!! Looks like a blast, cousins rock, so glad it was fun!!
Love your thoughts on doing it up for him. I agree whole heartedly. Good Friday may be a solemn holiday but Michael's FIFTH birthday is NOT!!!!
~Cheryl
I love that he got to have a big fun party with cousins! So special for you all!
Love the dog ears
So fun to have a birthday with the cousins!
Post a Comment