During the big Ponesse family dinner on Saturday night, we learned from my father-in-law Stephen that Matt's 99-year-old grandmother was not doing well. She had been in a nursing home suffering from dementia and other ailments for several years, but had taken a turn for the worse in recent days. Later, Auntie Judy called Greg to confirm that things were progressing rapidly. She encouraged Matt and Jon (the two out of town brothers) to try and see Nanny on Easter in case they couldn't return for the funeral in coming days. We went up to the nursing home after church on Sunday. I stayed in the car with the kids because Judy had warned us that things would be rough. Matt said it was quite awful seeing her as she was, but he was able to say goodbye. He also brought his Uncle Richard and Aunt Kathy out to see me and the kids. I love Matt's Uncle Richard and Auntie Kathy, so I was really grateful to be able to give them my condolences and just visit with them for a few minutes. Then we headed home. As we crossed into Pennsylvania, Greg called and said that Nanny had passed away. We are waiting on funeral arrangements, but it looks like it won't be until the end of the week, so Matt will drive back to Toronto.

I was lucky enough to meet Nanny when she was still healthy. I remember her as a perfectly regal old lady. She always made butter tarts or butterscotch pie for family events and Matt and his brothers are still trying to imitate her "cavazone," a kind of sausage pie, which doesn't seem to be an actual dish or word, but that's what she called it, so that's what they call it. Here she is with Talia in 2002.
Nanny especially enjoyed the weddings.
| |
| Here she is dancing with Chris at Stephen and Sylvia's wedding in 2002. He was probably 22 or 23? |
 |
| And with Matt's Dad, Stephen. I always remember her wearing this dress to formal occasions. | | | | | | | | | |
2 comments:
A wonderful post, family recipes have a way of tying people and memories together.
She does look perfectly regal. Conolences to Matt and his family.
Post a Comment