Monday, November 24, 2008

I Want a Hippopotomus for Christmas

Today I played this song for Luke. It is one of my favorite Christmas tunes for a couple of reasons. First, hippos were my favorite animals as a kid and I used to have a hippo collection. Second, my Nana, who passed away in 2000, was a Christmas freak--and Christmas will always be synonymous with Nana in my mind. One of the last Christmases we spent together, probably in 1998 or 1999, I can remember her sweeping the floor and singing this song in her super-low-always-mistaken-for-a-man-voice. Somewhere in Colorado are silly Christmas pictures of Nana--including one with reindeer antlers, I think (hint, hint, oh kind stepfather).

For now I'll make do with this family picture of my Nana, my grandfather Bo, my mom and dad c. 1980. Check out my Strawberry Shortcake jammies. This must have been taken with a timer and I think it is quite goofy.

By the way, Luke's reaction to the song was: "Mommy, I think I'd like an alligator for Christmas."

3 comments:

tomandcheryl said...

Did you mean this pic was 1988 or '89? You look WAY too young for it to be 1998 or '99.

phdmommy said...

The pic is from around 1980, I separated the paragraphs, so it should make sense now.

~heather~ said...

The hippo song is one of my holiday favorites too!! Always puts you in a good mood!